A Workshop for queer, polyamorous, kinky, burner, and other non-traditional folks
Will in a Weekend is an all-inclusive end of life planning workshop for non-traditional folks in central Texas who are ready to stop procrastinating. Participants start the planning process on Friday and by Sunday afternoon, they have the satisfaction and relief of having their “affairs in order.”
I’ve seen it all too many times, someone knows that getting their affairs in order is the responsible thing to do for themselves and their loved ones and they really want to get it done, but something is stopping them from following through with it. The vanilla reasons for putting this off that anyone can experience: The dread of doing paperwork, the overwhelming feeling of having too many options and no guidance, or sometimes it’s just the fact that thinking about being unable to determine your medical care or dying someday is scary.
And for those of us who are queer, polyamorous, kinky, burner, or otherwise living on the “road less traveled,” there can be additional complications that make it easy to procrastinate on end-of-life planning: you want to care for your chosen family but don’t know how to do this with nesting partners, life partners, platonic coparents, close friends, D/s relationships and comets all at the same time; you may not be open to your legally-recognized family about your alternative lifestyle and are not sure how to handle it; you may be estranged from certain legally-recognized family members and are not sure how to prevent conflict between them and your closest loved ones.
With Will in a Weekend, our goal is to help you break through the barriers and get your documents in order over the course of a weekend. We’ll start with a group session over Zoom on Friday, think of it basically as a 101 course on what exactly all these documents mean and what your options are. What exactly is a Medical Power of Attorney and what happens when I need it? Do I need to spell out who inherits each individual sock in my dresser? Am I allowed to have a Viking funeral? All these questions and more, answered in a short class. This will provide information about legacy planning, present you with options to consider, and provide a guide to prepare for the 1-on-1 session.
Next up you’ll get a 1-on-1 session with me, Friday night or Saturday, where I’ll guide you through the important parts of each document and get your wants and needs spelled out. If everything you want is straightforward and simple this could be as short as half an hour, but if you’ve got a lot of personalized changes you want to make sure we get exactly right, you’ll have me booked for up to two hours.
Saturday evening, we’ll email you a draft of your final document for you to check over. Make sure that we’ve spelled everybody’s names correctly and that the addresses we’ve put down have the right zip code, that sort of thing. Not to worry though if something slips through – for up to 1 year, small corrections and alterations to executors/agents/beneficiaries are free.
Sunday we’ll have the signing. We will provide the Notary and two witnesses that are required to finalize the documents at no additional fee, though you are absolutely welcome to bring your own witnesses if you’d like them to be a part of the process. You’ll be provided your documents in a fireproof and waterproof case. Altogether you will receive: your Will, Medical Power of Attorney, HIPAA release form, and a Directive to Physicians (living will).
So there you have it, a couple of hours over a weekend and you’ll be done! End of life planning can be difficult, but we hope to make this process as quick and painless as possible so that you can rest at night knowing that your affairs are in order.
This is a workshop for folks in the Central Texas area who:
- know they need to “get their paperwork in order” but haven’t found the time to follow through OR they started, got overwhelmed, put it down, and haven’t gotten back to it.
- don’t have any will or end-of-life-documents OR have these but need to update them to match their current life circumstances
- want a lawyer who will take the time to understand their unique life situations.
- have assets totaling less than 10 million dollars
- Are willing to commit 4-6 hours over a long weekend to craft a legacy for their loved ones and finish the project
- Want the option to make changes as part of their end-of-life planning
- Are willing to attend the in-person will signing will be in Austin OR make their own arrangements for signing and executing the documents.
What is included:
- Legal coaching and info session: 1 live group session via Zoom (2 hours). This will provide information about legacy planning, present you with options to consider, and provide a guide to prepare for the 1-on-1 session.
- 1-on-1 discussion of your legacy choices. 1-2 hours.
- HIPAA Release
- Directive to Physicians
- Fireproof/ waterproof folder to store your documents
- Signing location with Notary and witnesses (and clear, comprehensive instructions if you can’t make it to Austin or prefer to DIY your signing)
- Starting at $1,250
- $150 discount per person if you sign up as a pair
- $250 discount per person if you sign up 3 or more together
You do not need to share a household or have a legal relationship to qualify for the multi-person discount
Friday October 13, 2023 – Sunday October 15, 2023 (6 slots available)
Friday October 27, 2023 – Sunday October 29, 2023 (6 slots available)
How to sign up:
Email us at ChosenFamilyLawTX@gmail.com or use the communication portal at our website www.ChosenFamilyLawTX.com If you are interested in the workshop, but these dates don’t work for you, send us an email to be on the early invitation list for future sessions.